Saturday, March 2, 2013

Broccoli and Ham Quiche

Quiche is one of those quintessential dishes that pops up just about everywhere. What's wonderful is that it is so beautifully versatile. Once you have your basic mixture of eggs, milk, and cream, you can add whatever your heart desires..or whatever you have leftover in your fridge. In this recipe I use fresh steamed broccoli, cooked just until it begins to get tender, and slices of maple glazed ham. A little cheddar cheese adds a savory, salty bite.




I also love to make and enjoy quiche because I find it terribly comforting. I've been enjoying this particular dish (and many variations) since I was a little girl. When I would visit my grandmother, she used to make quiche with some mixed greens for dinner- I always asked for seconds. My father also makes quiche, usually for family brunches and special occasions. In this way, I've grown up associated quiche with these very special and loving memories. I suppose I will always have a soft spot for this dish.

Broccoli and Ham Quiche

Materials

1 8" frozen whole wheat pie crust
1 1/2 cups broccoli, cut into bite-size crowns and steamed
5 slices thin-sliced maple ham
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup light cream
pinch paprika
pinch cayenne
salt and pepper, to taste

Methods

1. Preheat your oven to 375 deg F. Take your pie crust and use a fork to pierce several holes in the base of the crust. Follow the directions for cooking your pie crust- if it requires cooking prior to adding the ingredients, do this now.
2. Allow your broccoli to cool a bit after steaming it. When cooled, add it in an even layer over the bottom of the pie crust. Next, cut up the sliced ham into bite-size pieces and add this in a layer over the broccoli. Add the cheddar cheese evenly over the ham.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and light cream. Mix in the paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Pour this mixture into the pie crust.
4. Place the quiche in the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes. The top should begin to take on a golden color and a knife inserted into the middle of the quiche should come out clean.



Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment