Monday, September 26, 2011

Hot Lavender Mulled Cider

Like many other Boston locals, I am so excited about the city's recent food truck craze. Now, every time I walk downtown or on campus I pass by trucks with enticing aromas selling anything from Vietnamese sandwiches to coffee. It was actually a food truck that indirectly inspired me with today's recipe.

I happened upon a truck that made fresh lavender lemonade. It was refreshing and just a little bit floral. I loved the idea of using lavender leaves to make a more refined, unique drink out of lemonade. Also, I happen to have a little jar of dried lavender in my cabinet and I am always trying to think of ways to use it. While I very much enjoyed the lemonade, I wanted something that would really represent the fall season and fall produce. Immediately, I thought of apple cider, which my family used to heat up after we went apple picking for a delicious, warm pick-me-up. The lavender adds that extra floral 'je ne sais quoi'. Give it a try and let me know what you think!





Hot Lavender Mulled Cider


Ingredients


1/2 medium orange, sliced
10 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 T dried lavender
10 cups apple cider (about 64 oz)

Methods


1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and heat at a low simmer for 15-20 minutes.


2. Strain the liquid, leaving out all other ingredients. Serve hot!



Optional: Kick up the heat with a splash of rum or brandy!

2 comments:

  1. I have to try this recipe out! This combination, I never seen before!! Something to look forward to, thank you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect after a day of apple picking!

    ReplyDelete